Thursday 5 December 2013

STELLA MCCARTNEY, JAMES AND OLIVIA HARRISON IN LONDON: STELLA's CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

Stella McCartney, Olivia Harrison and Salma Hayek in 30 Burton Street, London.

Dame Edna poses with Stella McCartney at the designer's Bruton Street store
Dame Edna poses with Stella McCartney at the designer's Bruton Street store
In what has become a traditional highlight of the festive season, Stella McCartney invited a comedy legend to switch on the elaborate Christmas lights outside her Bruton Street store in Mayfair last night.

Photo d'actualité: James McCartney and Ronnie Wood attend the Stella…
LONDON,ENGLAND-DEC04: James McCartney (L) and Ronnie Wood attend the Stella McCartney Christmas Lights Switch On at the Stella McCartney Bruton Street Store on December 4, 2013 in London, England.

Past star turns have included Ab Fab duo Patsy and Eddie, Little Britain's Lou & Andy, and last year, Vic Reeves and Paul Whitehouse performing a spoof folk song. This year, however, was the turn of Australia's most infamous chat show host and glamorous comedienne, Dame Edna Everage, who is currently in town performing as part of her farewell 'Eat Pray Laugh' tour at the London Palladium theatre before she hangs up her gladioli for good next spring.
The colourful Dame took to the mini stage erected outside the storefront, and performed a poem she had written in Stella's honour for a boutique crowd peppered with famous faces.
Stella's Team GB Olympic buddies Victoria Pendleton and Sir Chris Hoy were in attendance, along with another Dame in the petite form of Judi Dench ("There you are Dame Judi, you're a loyal little mite aren't you!" shouted Edna).
Even tinier than Judi was Hollywood actress, Salma Hayek. "Stella, I want you to know I am shopping!" she explained to the designer in her thick Mexican accent.
"Don't worry, you're my best customer!" replied Stella, referring to the fact that Salma is married to François-Henri Pinault, head of luxury conglomerate, Kering, which part-owns her label.
Also there raising a glass of mulled wine, tucking into roasted chestnuts and rifling through the giant bowls of courtesy Christmas treats were Sienna Miller, Ronnie Wood, Downton Abbey star Laura Carmichael and Ab Fab's Jane Horrocks.
But back to that poem, which Edna introduced with an explanation of how she and '"Stell" became acquainted ("Stella was sent to live with me when she was little to learn about life, and she was always stitching little frocks for her dollies. She made some for me too - I'm not going to say they were my favourites..."), before touching on the thorny subject of the elaborate purple fur stole draped around her neck ("I know Stella is very seriously into conservation. Don't worry, this is not real fur Stell, this is humanely culled acrylic! It's Australian road kill - purple possum…")
And then it was time for 'Ode To Stella':
I am one of the world's very great fashionistas,
And Stella McCartney and I are like sisters.
I once asked her her dream for haute couture success,
She said "I pray that one day I'll make Edna a dress".
My son Kenny made this, with its sweet purple furs,
But 'Stell' thinks I'd look so much better in hers!
Her career has just started, to my admiration,
And she told me that I am her great inspiration.
It's amazing the strong cultural bonds that we forge,
I'm almost her godmother, like I am to Prince George!
What am I doing you ask, out here in the chill,
With the London Palladium just over the hill.
Well, that is the theatre, as you probably know,
Where each night I'm performing my hit, farewell show!
But I'm here where she needs me,I am her rock,
And soon she'll be stitching me a magnificent frock.
When I wear her creation, Kate Moss will be jealous,
Her clothes turn me on, so I'm turning on Stella's!
Then with "three cheers for lovely, lovely Stella", the countdown began and the lights were switched on.
"Oh, isn't that magical! And isn't it funny to think that people out there looking at these lights may be involved in serious accidents - well worth it I think Stella!"



No comments:

Post a Comment