Monday 10 August 2020

THE SONG WHICH INSPIRED JOHN LENNON TO WRITE "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE"

“Give Peace a Chance” remains one of John’s most stirring anthems, it’s message continues to resonate with people today. 

John told Rolling Stone “You see, I’m shy and aggressive so I have great hopes for what I do with my work and I also have great despair that it’s all pointless and it’s sh*t. You know, how can you beat Beethoven or Shakespeare or whatever? In me secret heart I wanted to write something that would take over ‘We Shall Overcome’ (a stirring folk/gospel anthem, was used a little too often at political rallies)  …The one they always sang, and I thought, Why doesn’t somebody write something for the people now, that’s what my job and our job is.”

In addition, John wanted “Give Peace a Chance” to be a “revolutionary” song for workers. Moreover, he wrote the song because he wanted to give the world songs that were more substantial than simple love songs. John saw “Give Peace a Chance” as having similar themes as his own song “Working Class Hero,” a much more dour song also aimed at workers.

In 1969, there was a huge protest against the Vietnam War held at the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Celebrities like Arlo Guthrie and Peter, Paul and Mary attended the protest. All in all, nearly half a million people were there. Protesters performed both “We Shall Overcome’ and “Give Peace a Chance,” showing the two songs and their important messages could certainly coexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment