Wednesday 22 July 2020

JOHN LENNON: ""ALL MY LOVING", A **** FINE PIECE OF WORK"

After The Beatles broke up and the acknowledgement of their place in history was confirmed, the group started to open up a little bit more about their time within the biggest band on the planet.

John Lennon dominated much of the early writing for the band but it was on their record With The Beatles that McCartney dropped “one of his first biggies,” according to Lennon, the brilliant song ‘All My Loving’.

John said later, in his 1980 interview with Playboy: “‘All My Loving’ is Paul, I regret to say. Because it’s a damn fine piece of work. But I play a pretty mean guitar in back.”

Paul said:  “Yeah, I wrote that one. It was the first song I ever wrote where I had the words before the music. I wrote the words on a bus on tour, then we got the tune when I arrived there. The first time I’ve ever worked upside down.”

The song drove a serious amount of excitement around the band and gained considerable airplay across the US, Canada and, of course, Britain.

It marked a change of atmosphere for the group as it noted Macca’s impending rise to the top of the songwriting pile and the competitive edge it would always give the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment