Thursday, 22 June 2017

HERE´S HOW THE WELSH STREETS COULD LOOK

New scheme for Toxteth districts will see terraced houses refurbished and new homes built



Here’s how Liverpool’s famous Welsh Streets could look once a new masterplan for the area is finally completed.The terraced streets off Princes Road in Toxteth lie mostly derelict after years of arguments over what should happen to them.

The area, which includes Ringo Starr’s birthplace, was slated for demolition. Heritage campaigners fought to preserve the homes though council officials and some residents said they should be demolished as they were in such poor condition.
Eventually the Government rejected the demolition plans. The council slammed the decision as “illogical and unreasonable” but had to develop a new scheme for the area.

Last year developer PlaceFirst signed a deal with the council to start conversion work. Building work on 25 pilot properties in High Park Street and Voelas Street started in November.
Now a full masterplan for the area is set to be agreed by the council’s cabinet tomorrow.
The masterplan says the area should be rebuilt to include 294 new homes, which will be a mix of refurbishment and new build.
Communal gardens will be crated behind the homes.
As there is a shortage of larger homes in the area, 124 of the new properties will have four bedrooms. 109 will have three bedrooms and the 61 will have two bedrooms.
Of the homes, 30 will be let at an “affordable rent” with 194 let at market rent. Some 35 will be shared ownership/rent to buy and another 35 will be available to buy.

Councillor Frank Hont, Cabinet member for housing, said: “I hope residents are encouraged at the progress that has already been made. For far too long they saw their hopes and dreams thwarted through no fault of their own.
“I would like to thank residents for their patience, resilience and support over the last few years and sticking with the area when some of them are in poor health as a result of the conditions they are living in.”
If the masterplan is approved, a detailed planning application will be submitted later this year.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson said: “Placefirst have done an excellent job bringing some of the homes back into use as part of their pilot project, and together with the local community we have now drawn up some really exciting plans to breathe new life into the area and give it a long term, sustainable future.
“This is about providing certainty for the local community following years of frustration in which their wishes were thwarted by Central Government’s interference in the local planning process.
“We’ve already demonstrated with the regeneration of Anfield and our Homes for a Pound scheme that we are leading the way in finding imaginative ways of retaining properties where it is viable to do so, and this project reflects our approach.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...