Monday, 19 September 2016


“When Ringo joined, then it was like a real rocketship,” Paul said. “Then it was like, ‘Whoa, wait a minute. This it!’”... “We became a band then.” Ringo added.
The new documentary “Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years” follows The Beatles on the road from 1963 to 1966 in their heady climb into the pop culture heavens.

Ron Howard, brought in to direct the film, says many of the performances include newly-restored footage. He showed a 35mm footage from Manchester -- and some newly-discovered film of their last live performance, at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
“There was actually no official footage of Candlestick?” 
“No, no, that footage was found under a lady’s bed, most of it,” Howard said. “This lady called in and basically said, ‘You know, I went to that Candlestick and I took some movies. I never developed ‘em. Do you guys wanta look?’ !!!!!”
“I loved it, being under her bed!” Ringo said. 
“I didn’t realize she had never looked at it!’ Paul said.
Holding up an imaginary canvas, Ringo said, “It’s like, ‘Oh, who’s this? Picasso?’”
“We’d come in here, and it was only me and John knew what we were gonna do that day, ‘cause we’d just written it,” Paul said. “George Martin would come down from the sort of grown up’s box, and he’d sorta say, ‘What are we gonna do, chaps?’ So we’d go, (sings) ‘If there’s anything that you want…’ And in the next one-and-a-half hours we’d make that song.”
As Beatlemania built, the flood of fans forced them to invent arena rock.
“And then when we end up at Shea,” Starr said, “’cause that is the biggest thing we’d ever done, it was like, far out.”

At Shea Stadium in New York City, in August of 1965, they played before 56,000 fans...“When you started playing stadiums, arenas, did you plan for that in any way?”
“No, not really. I don’t think we planned for anything,” Paul replied. 
“We just went on with what we had,” Ringo said.
There were only two roadies. Mal Evans was one of them. “All our equipment had to be [small] enough so Mal could carry it,” Ringo said.
Of the noise during the concerts, Paul said, “I mean, at first the screaming was great, ‘cause it meant we were a success. It was just like, ‘She loves (screams)‘! It was just like, ‘Hey, whoa.’ And after a while, it was like, “I can’t hear you.’”
“And we did diminish a little as musicians,” Ringo added, “though it sounds good.”
“But why does it sound good? How could it sound so good when you couldn’t hear them?”
“We played our best, no matter what. And I couldn’t hear them! I was playing, you know, to his foot tapping, to John’s bouncing. You know, and they went (shakes head mimicking Whooooooo!)  I couldn’t hear that. I just saw the head and always the whoo.”
“And the thing is, because we put in some many hours as kids, we instinctively knew what to do as a band,” Paul said. “We were making a pretty good noise, most of the time. Not always!”
On their first trip in the American South, The Beatles unwittingly waded into dangerous political waters. Before a concert at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida, the band was told the audience would be segregated.

“How did that get brought up to you at the time?”
“Brian Epstein, our manager, would have just said, ‘Oh, you know, and this show is segregated. There will be black people over here, and there’ll be white people over here,’” Paul said. “We though they were joking. ‘What do you mean?’ You know we were from Liverpool. We played black, white, all the bands, we just played together. And we actually put it in the contract. [It specified that group would not perform in front of a segregated audience.]  It wasn’t a big political gesture, it was just instinct.”
Ringo said of segregation, “We didn’t understand it.”
Paul said it wasn’t a political act: “It was just like, ‘No, we’re not doin’ it.’”

The Gator Bowl relented, and the audience was desegregated. But the crowds and the commotion around their appearances grew.
“Was there a specific point you remember when you really started getting tired of it?”
“I felt personally I was not playing the best I could,” Ringo said. 
“It came to the final concert in Candlestick Park -- we were all getting a bit fed up, but I was still resisting -- ’Oh yeah, it’s good. We oughta keep going,’” Paul said. “And then we got put in this van, which was like chrome interior. And we were just sliding around in there. And we all looked at each other. And I said, ‘Well, you’re right, this is it. Forget it. This is just stupid.’ ‘Cause the conditions were just brutal.”
After that concert in August 1966, The Beatles retreated to the studio. That November at Abbey Road, they began recording “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.”
They never toured again, and broke up three years later.
As Paul says in “Eight Days a Week,” “By the end it became quite complicated, but at the beginning things were really simple.”
“That was the thing about The Beatles,” “We were a great little band. Really.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...