Monday 4 July 2016

RINGO HAS HIS SAY ON BREXIT

Ringo  has come out in favour of Brexit - because the EU ‘didn’t really turn into a love fest’.
The former Beatles legend echoed the Leave campaign’s message that it would help the British ‘get back on our own feet’. 


He said he had supported Britain’s membership at first, but suggested countries had never become united enough to make it work.
The remarks are unlikely to go down too well with many Scousers, after a clear majority in the city voted to remain in the EU .
Ringo also admitted he rarely comes back to Liverpool, returning only for gigs.
He said of the referendum result: “I think (it’s) good. Get back on our own feet.
“I was a huge fan when (the EU) started. I’ve lived all over Europe so I thought ‘how great’. But it never really got together, I didn’t think.
“Maybe in a business way it got together but everyone kept their own flags ... it didn’t really turn into a love fest.”
Asked if he still felt a strong connection to his home city, he said: “Oh yeah, are you kidding? I came from there. I’m a scouser. I know I haven’t lost my accent.”
But he revealed: “I don’t get back to Liverpool much at all. I get back when I play there and that’s about it really.”
Ringo will be 76 on Thursday, and plans to encourage people to say his ‘peace and love’ catch phrase around the world at midday. He,Barbara and former Eurythmics musician Dave Stewart will take part on the eighth Peace and Love event in Hollywood.
He added: “There’s been a lot of violence out of there so I just go ‘peace and love’. It’s the alternative.”


 
Paul McCartney said last week he had leaned towards Remain but could not make up his mind, though was unable to vote anyway because he was on tour.
He told The Washington Post: “I think like a lot of people, I was very confused. I was actually doing concerts and I physically couldn’t get to it.
“I think I would have come down on the remain side because people like the Governor of the Bank of England, a lot of financial experts, were saying that.
“I think the strongest argument that I heard, a friend of mine who was a political journalist said, [is that people] shouldn’t forget this is the longest sustained peace in Europe.”

No comments:

Post a Comment