Saturday 15 August 2015

JOHN PLANNED TO DODGE ARMY BY MOVING TO IRELAND

John planned to dodge his National Service with the British Army by moving to Ireland, according to a new book on The Beatles' first tour of the USA in 1964. 

John, who went on to be a vocal anti-war protester, had no intention of ever serving if he was summoned to take part in National Service, the call-up in which healthy males aged 17 to 21 years old were expected to serve in the British armed forces for 18 months. 

Ivor Davis, author of The Beatles and Me, said: "I'd been in the British Army on National Service and John told me `if I ever get called up to serve in the British Army, I'm going to emigrate to Ireland. Seriously'
"I thought he was joking but he was probably not joking because if John, as many young men in Britain were, was called up then their careers as Beatles would have been over."

No comments:

Post a Comment