Friday 22 May 2015

"WHAT’s YOUR PHONE NUMBER?" - FULL PAUL Q&A FROM JAPAN

Last week we teased you with two (very different!) excerpts from Paul’s recent Japanese language LINE Q&A, in which over 250,000 fans took part. We asked Paul what he would do if he was a woman for a day (the first time we've ever seen Paul stumped for an answer!) and if he had any advice for the Gallagher brothers.
 





























To celebrate Paul bringing his ‘Out There’ tour to the UK this weekend we are now publishing the Q&A in its entirety. Paul enjoyed using the LINE stickers to answer some of the questions in both English and Japanese  


Paul McCartney LINE Q&A April 2015
 
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s it like being back in Japan?
Paul: [Plays ‘Cool’ from LINE stickers] It is great. It’s lovely. The weather’s beautiful. The fans are beautiful. I’m having a great time! 
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your favourite phrase in Japanese?
Paul: [Play’s ‘Suimasen’ from LINE stickers, which translates as 'Excuse me' in Japanese] 
PaulMcCartney.com: You often go and see the sumo wrestlers when you’re in Japan, but what do you like about the sport?
Paul: It’s real. I like that it’s real. In the west, wrestling is theatre. They often know the outcome. It’s a play. And a lot of people like it, and I understand that. I like real sport. I like the fact that no body knows who’s going to win. And it’s very traditional and Japanese, you know. The whole cultural thing, it’s nice. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Is it true you all tried to sneak out of the hotel when The Beatles played Japan? And, if so, where did you go?
Paul: I went to the Emperor’s Palace. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Were you in disguise?
Paul: I think, maybe just a little bit of something. Maybe glasses, or something, and the hair back. But when I went out of the hotel two police officers said they were coming with me. So I wasn’t really on my own. But it was good, you know. At least I got to see a little bit around the palace. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Do you ever cook Japanese food? And, if so, what’s your favourite dish to make?
Paul: [Plays ‘No’ from LINE stickers] I don’t, but you know what I do, that’s the nearest thing? That’s tofu. 
PaulMcCartney.com: How do you cook the tofu?
Paul: What do I do with it? I sauté it, a little bit in a pan, and turn it over so it’s golden brown… Did I just say Gordon Brown? No! … When it’s nearly finished, I then sizzle it in tamari sauce for the last minute [makes sizzling noise]
PaulMcCartney.com: Do you like to serve that on its own or with other dishes?
Paul: I serve it with steamed vegetables. 
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your favourite thing to do when you come to Japan?
Paul: Sing to my fans! But I also like going out on my bike. When it’s beautiful weather, like today, it’s really great to get out on the bike. So Nancy and I just go out and look around. 
PaulMcCartney.com: How did it feel when the entire audience held red pen lights during ‘Yesterday’ at the Tokyo Dome in 2013.
Paul: It was magic, you know. It’s always very special because I never expect it. I don’t know it’s going to happen so it’s quite emotional. Because you’re singing your song, and you’re just concentrating. And then suddenly something like that happens, and it’s like, ‘Whoa!’. It takes your breath away. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Which is your favourite LINE sticker? 
Paul: [Plays ‘Domo arigato’ from LINE stickers, which translates as 'Thank you' in Japanese] 
PaulMcCartney.com: And which sticker best describes your mood right now?
Paul: [Laughs] My mood right now? [Plays ‘Ok’ from LINE stickers] Or… [Plays ‘Cool’ from LINE stickers] Or… [Plays ‘Let’s do it!’ from LINE stickers] I’m ready, man! We’ve got a sticker for everything!
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your favourite word?
Paul: My favourite word? Love.
PaulMcCartney.com: How would you describe yourself in one word?
Paul: [Laughs and plays ‘Cool’ from LINE stickers]
PaulMcCartney.com: If you were a woman for a day, what would you do?
Paul: [Laughs] The possibilities are endless! What would I do? I think I’d need some time to think about that! What would I do as a woman for day…? I don’t know! That’s a big question! The mind boggles… Give me two weeks and I’ll think of an answer to that! It may not be printable, that’s the problem! I’ll have to think about it. [Asks a lady within the room for help who replies, “I don’t know!”] Even a woman doesn’t know! 
PaulMcCartney.com: What is the most important thing in your life?
Paul: My family and music.
PaulMcCartney.com: What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
Paul: Have a bowl of cereal. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Any particular cereal? 
Paul: I have whatever cereal’s going. There are various cereals. And then I like a little bit of berries on the top of it. 
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your favourite movie?
Paul: So there’s so many good ones… I like ‘The Girl Can’t Help It’. The first really good rock’n’roll movie. I like that one, but there are so many good movies. But that’s one of many favourites. There’s also ‘On The Waterfront’ with Marlon Brando. More recently? Oh my god, there’s so many!
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your ringtone?
Paul: It is [sings] “Hey! Your phone is ringing! Hey! Your phone is ringing! Lalalaaaaaa!” 
PaulMcCartney.com: Is it you singing it?
Paul: Yes, it’s me! What happened was, you get your favourite ringtone and then change your phone, and they’ve discontinued the ringtone. So you go, 'Urgh!'. I went through a few, and then in the end I decided to record my own!
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your phone number?
Paul: My phone number is 000 000!
PaulMcCartney.com: Is there anything new, that you haven’t had chance to do yet?
Paul: Probably lots of things… I like photography a lot. And I’ve never really shown my photography. So that maybe something I’d do in the future, something I would like to do. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Who’s your favourite historical figure, excluding musicians?
Paul: Again, there are so many… Shakespeare comes to mind. 
PaulMcCartney.com: What’s your favourite album of your own?
Paul: Again that’s a difficult question, you know. It’s like people saying ‘What’s your favourite song?’ I would think of two; maybe ‘McCartney’ – my first album I did solo. And ‘Band on the Run’.  
PaulMcCartney.com: For any particular reason?
Paul: ‘McCartney’, just because it was the first one, and it’s very basic. I made it just on my own at home on a four track machine. So I like that album, because of that. And then ‘Band on the Run’ because it was successful! 
PaulMcCartney.com: Which artists have you been listening to recently?
Paul: Kanye West and Rihanna. Foo Fighters. Bob Dylan. Beatles! Ringo Starr! I listened to his album yesterday. His new one – ‘Postcards from Paradise’. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Who do you think is the greatest guitar player?
Paul: Hmmm, that is again very difficult. You know, you can go back to Django Reinhardt, and that style of jazz. He was great. And you can come up to date with George Harrison, who is probably a bit under-rated. Jimi Hendrix, who is fantastic. Eric Clapton, who is great. And then there are a lot of other great players besides them! 
PaulMcCartney.com: What places in the UK would you recommend to visitors? 
Paul: Liverpool and London
PaulMcCartney.com: How do you keep your vocal range so that you can keep your vocal levels in their original key?
Paul: Very good luck! I just always assume I can sing them in the original key so it may be psychological. I just sing them and hope the range is there. 
PaulMcCartney.com: Do you think the Gallagher brothers will ever make up and do you have any advice for them?
Paul: I don’t know if they will ever make up. It would be good because I think everyone likes brothers to like each other – and make up. It’s a pity because they are very good together. Like many brothers, they are crazy. But it would be nice if they got together. My advice to them; just get together and make some good music! But they have got to want to do it. I think a lot of people would like them to do that. They are pretty cool guys! 
PaulMcCartney.com: When you are on stage can you hear what your fans are shouting and can you read their signs? 
Paul: Yes, you can. The lighting sometimes makes it so dark that you can’t see anybody, but then the lights occasionally shine on the audience and then you can see the signs. There are some pretty good ones! Sometimes you can hear what they are saying, [shouts inaudiable noise] to which I answer [shouts inaudible nosie]!
PaulMcCartney.com: Where did you meet Newman?
Paul: I met him in a workshop where he was being born. He was scrap metal and I watched him being born.
And with that Paul left us to go on stage!
Check out Paul's new Sound Stickers worldwide via the in-app Sticker shop HERE and through the LINE store HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment