Thursday 20 November 2014

JOHN TELEGRAM UP FOR AUCTION

A telegram in which John Lennon apologises to a Dj for punching him during Paul Mccartney's birthday party is among a host of Beatles memorabilia up for auction next month (Dec14).

The late musician sent the note in 1963 following a bust-up with Bob Wooler, a disc jockey who worked at the legendary Cavern Club in Liverpool, England during MCCartney's 21st birthday celebrations.

The telegram message reads, "Really sorry Bob terribly worried to realise what I had done stop what more can I say = John Lennon."

Dean Harmeyer of Heritage Auctions says, "John had had a few drinks and he socked Bob Wooler in the eye. (Their manager Brian) Epstein probably made John send the telegram to apologise."







John said in 1972: 
"Bob had been insinuating that me and Brian had had an affair in Spain. And I must have been frightened of the fag in me to get so angry.
I was out of my mind with drink - you know, when you get down to the point where you want to drink out of all the empty glasses; that drunk. 
And Bob was saying, 'Come on, John, tell me about you and Brian - we all know.' You know when you're twenty-one, you want to be a man - if somebody had said it now I wouldn't give a shit, but I was beating the shit out of him, hitting him with a big stick, and for the first time I thought, 'I can kill this guy.' I just saw it, like on a screen: if I hit him once more, that';s going to be it. I really got shocked. That's when I gave up violence, because all my life I'd been like that."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment