Saturday 3 November 2012

Q & A WITH RAVI SHANKAR

Acclaimed for bringing Eastern music to the West, Indian musician Ravi Shankar is returning to the stage – and for the first time in five years he’ll be joined by his daughter and disciple, Anoushka. It’s a reunion with special significance since the 92-year-old Encinitas resident recently had a health scare that left him in intensive care. An undisputed sitar virtuoso who taught the likes of George Harrison to play the instrument, Shankar will take the stage of the Long Beach Terrace Theater this Sunday night, November 4. But before then, we caught up with him and his wife, Sukanya Rajan, who chatted about his music, his foundation, and what inspires him.

How do you feel about being back on stage?
SR: He suffered from heart failure and pneumonia. He was in intensive care for two months so this is really a miracle.
RS: This is really a memorable time because of my condition. It’s also special to be performing in my hometown. Since 1956, I performed on my own all over the world and I’ve loved this area so much.

How do you feel about performing with your daughter?
RS: It is the ultimate pleasure. She is like an extension of myself. It’s a tremendous joy to work with her. She’s my best disciple and I’m very proud of her.
SR: She lives in England, so this is rare. It hasn’t happened since 2007. They improvise together. Even though she’s been performing with him all her life, he always surprises her. She’s always caught off-guard, it’s a challenge to accompany him.

READ MORE... HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment